Position Title: Planner I
Status: Regular, Full-time, Non-exempt
Rate of Pay: $24.28/hour – $25.71/hour
Closing Date: December 10, 2019 (first review of applications will be November 27, 2019)
Under general supervision of the Director of Community Development and Planning, this position performs a variety of professional planning duties relative to land-use and development, floodplain permitting, grants, and special districts.
The knowledge, skills, and abilities required for this position are typically acquired through four (4) year degree in land-use planning, geography, landscape architecture, or other relevant field from an accredited college or university; and one (1) year experience in the planning profession in a public sector office.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Reviews and processes applications for Buildings for Lease or Rent and for road adjustments;
- Provides information to, and answers questions from, groups and individuals on Special Districts specific to new subdivisions
- Assists with zoning requests, including conditional use permits, land use variances, changes in non-conforming use, zoning changes, and amendments relating to County zone districts;
- Assists with review of development proposals with City, County, State and Federal agencies and private developers;
- Conducts surveys and technical studies relating to land use proposals;
- Analyzes existing land use, public facilities, environmental constraints, and other information in conjunction with development proposals;
- Prepares written staff reports and participates in the development of staff recommendations for development proposals;
- Meets with the Elected Officials, and facilitates meetings of Appointed Boards and Committees of the County.
- Prepares and manages grant applications;
- Coordinates with the Grants Administrator and Finance Director in the administration of grants by estimating costs, reviewing loan applications, tracking assessment accounts, etc.;
- Attends Staff, Board and committee meetings;
- Enforces zoning and subdivision regulations and development permits;
- Assists in the training of other staff;
- Coordinates and leads site visits;
- Schedules public meetings and hearings;
- Coordinates with the Special District Program Coordinator on the formation of districts specific to new subdivision projects;
- Reviews and processes Floodplain Development Permits in coordination with other staff.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
Examples of Knowledge
- County and State regulations relating to land use and planning;
- Department policies and procedures;
- Geographic Information Systems;
- County policies and procedures;
- Hardware and software used to develop and deliver public presentations.
Examples of Skills & Abilities
- Prepare and deliver public presentations; speak in front of groups on a regular basis;
- Use common office machines, including computers and telephone; camera; Smartboard;
- Learn software, including word processing, spreadsheet, and presentation programs, and apply to existing systems;
- Understand and follow oral and written policies, procedures, and instructions;
- Use Geographic Information Systems to create maps, mailing lists, and exhibits;
- Prepare written reports and applications according to prescribed standards;
- Maintain records and documents according to prescribed standards;
- Find effective solutions when solving problems and making decisions;
- Communicate effectively orally and in writing;
- Establish and maintain cooperative, effective relationships with citizens, staff, community partners, state agencies, and supervisor.
Local travel is required approximately 5% of the time; travel is primarily local during the business day.
Applications for this position must be submitted through our career portal by the listed closing date at http://www.lccountymt.gov/hr/employment.html.
The following items are required along with the on-line application:
- Cover letter