Position Title: Deputy Sheriff
Salary: $57,297.00 (plus county benefits)
Closing Date: May 31, 2019
The Richland County Sheriff’s Office is currently accepting applications for the position of one full time Deputy Sheriff. Applications and resumes will be accepted until position is filled. Starting employment date is slated for June or July 2019, however the sheriff’s office will work with successful applicants if that time frame is a problem. A hiring list will be made of the selected applicants for future hiring.
Applicants must use the standard Montana POST application which may be obtained by contacting the Richland County Sheriff’s Office, Montana Job Service or online at the Montana POST Council website, https://dojmt.gov/post/forms-and-other-documents/ (scroll down and select the PDF for the “Standard Application for Position of Public Safety Officer in the State of Montana”).
All applicants must also submit a resume outlining any past experience, education, and general background information.
Please provide the names and contact numbers for at least three prior employers or law enforcement references for use by the sheriff’ s office when conducting pre-employment background investigations.
Applicants must be willing to travel to the Richland County Law & Justice Center at 300 12111 Ave. NW, Sidney, Montana for testing and interviews. Testing consists of the standard National Police Officer Selection Test, a written psychological test, and an oral interview. Prior law enforcement experience, Montana POST certification, or any out of stale certification is not required to apply, however persons with prior experience or certification will be given additional consideration.
Applications will be reviewed upon receipt and exceptional applicant and or applicants with prior experience or certification may be contacted for immediate testing and interviews. Any applicant who has completed the National Police Officer Selection Test within the past 12 months may submit those test results along with their application for determination if re-testing will be required. Please understand that all applicants will be required to submit to the written psychological test and those applicants reaching the final stage of the process will be given oral interviews.
Starting salary for a Richland County Deputy Sheriff is $57,297.00 annual, plus county benefits that include Health insurance, HRA of $1,200.00 per year, retirement, vacation, sick leave and holiday pay.
Closing date will be May 31, 2019 or when position is filled.
Applicants Must Meet These Minimum Requirements:
- Must be a citizen of the United States;
- Must be at least 18 years of age;
- Must have a good driving record and possess or have ability to obtain a Montana driver’s license by time of appointment;
- Possess a Montana P.O.S.T. certification or be able to obtain within twelve (12) months of hire;
- Must be fingerprinted and subjected to a background check to disclose any criminal records;
- Ability to legally possess a firearm;
- May not have been convicted of a crime for which he or she could have been imprisoned in a federal or state penitentiary;
- May not have been convicted of a crime of domestic violence;
- Must be of good moral character, as determined by a thorough background investigation;
- Good verbal and written communication skills;
- React quickly and effectively to stressful situations;
- Must be a high school graduate or have passed the general education development test and have been issued an equivalency certification by the Superintendent of Public Instruction, an appropriate issuing agency, another state or the federal government;
- Able to work nights, weekends and holidays;
- Knowledge and skills in operating computer systems;
- Must be of sound physical and mental health;
- Ability to perform essential functions of this position.
Inquiries can be directed to Richland County Undersheriff, Robert B. Burnison, at firstname.lastname@example.org. All completed applications and resumes are to be sent to:
Richland County Sheriff’s Office 300 121h Ave. NW Suite I
Sidney, Montana 59270
Attention: Robert Burnison, Undersheriff