Published June 22, 2021
Position Title: Information Technology & Services Director
Organization: Lewis & Clark County
Pay Rate: $90,563.20 – $103,896.00 – per year
Position Type/Status: Permanent, Full-time, Exempt
Position Description Summary
Lewis and Clark County is hiring an Information Technology & Services Director. Information Technology & Services Department is responsible for carrying out the planning and program responsibilities for information technology for the City of Helena and Lewis & Clark County governments. The department has 15 full time employees.
Under general administrative direction of the Chief Administration Officer and the City Manager, this position manages and directs the Information Technology and Services Department operations, programs, and services, ensuring efficient and effective technical support and superior customer service to both the City and County.
Lewis and Clark County offers a competitive benefits package!
- Health Coverage – 2 Types of Health Plans which includes medical, dental, vision, and pharmacy coverage.
– Traditional Plan – cost for employee only is $50 per month and with the Wellness incentive, the cost may be reduced t$0 per month for full-time employees.
– High Deductible Health Plan – cost for employee is $0 per month and a additional $1200 per year ta Health Savings Account for full time employees.
- PureView Health Center – preferred clinic provider and ncost tthe employee and his/her dependents
- Retirement plans
- Paid Vacation and Sick Leave and Holidays
- Employees are provided with $25,000.00 of Life Insurance and $25, 000.00 of AD&D insurance as a new employee.
- Wellness Screening Incentive
- Gym Membership Reimbursement
- Voluntary Supplemental Life Insurance
- Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) – Employment with the County may qualify you treceive student loan forgiveness under the PSLF. Look here tlearn more and see if you may qualify!
- Cost of living increases
- Market adjustments
- Step based wage increases
- Directs the day to day activities of the Information Technology and Services Department;
- Coordinates activities between the Department and other entities, including but not limited to,
the City of Helena, Lewis and Clark County and the IT & S Board of Directors;
- Develops, implements and manages the ITS strategic plan based on the needs of both the City
- Establishes the vision, mission, goals and objectives for Information Technology for the joint City
and County IT enterprise;
- Establish policies, standards, practices and security measures to assure effective, efficient and
- Creates and implements the information management strategy;
- Carries out directives of the IT & S Board, City Manager, and County Chief Administrative Officer;
- Provides leadership and direction in the development of short and long range plans and
- Develops and implements enterprise-wide policies based on short and long-term strategic
planning goals, management concepts and practices;
- Continually monitors and evaluates the efficiency and effectiveness of service delivery methods
and procedures to determine what services are best provided in-house versus contracting
- Delivers presentations to supervisors, boards, commissions and the general public;
- Coordinates department activities with those of other departments and outside agencies and organizations;
- Determines schedule of product releases and/or project deadlines;
- Develops, communicates and implements a comprehensive cost recovery plan so that all costs are recovered in an equitable manner;
- Develops and monitors implementation of annual budget; assures that department functions are performed within budget;
- Hires and trains staff; develops and administers staff work plans; assigns and schedules personnel;
- Supervises and evaluates professional and support staff; monitors staff activities with respect to department work plans, goals and objectives;
- Handles discipline and termination of employees as needed and in accordance with County policy, state and federal laws;
- Provides technical and professional advice to the City/County leadership group;
- Attend and participate in meetings as required.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Examples of Knowledge
- Montana Code Annotated and County regulations pertaining to information technology;
- IT&S Department policies, procedures, and programs;
- Public sector budgeting policies and procedures;
- Management, supervisory techniques and personnel practices;
- Principles, practices, and languages utilized in programming and computer systems operations;
- Technical contract management;
- Project management;
- Customer Service models/techniques;
- Current information technology best practices;
- Identify and create strategies for process improvement.
Examples of Skills & Abilities
- Use common office machines;
- Understand and interpret statutes, regulations, policies, procedures and guidelines;
- Operate computer systems and related software, including word processing presentation and spreadsheet programs;
- Communicate effectively orally and in writing;
- Provide support to the City and County in meeting the needs of their end users;
- Balance the needs of organizations with differing priorities;
- Direct, supervise, train, and evaluate professional and support staff;
- Establish effective working relationships with fellow employees, supervisors, elected officials, developers, and citizens;
- Create and nurture culture of excellence and superior customer service.
The knowledge, skills, and abilities required for this position are typically acquired through a combination of education and experience equivalent to BA degree in computer science, information services, business administration, or related field, plus five (5) years professional experience in IT, with at least four (4) years supervisory experience. Master’s degree in the above named fields, public sector IT experience, and project management preferred.
This position requires the ability to move or lift documents and materials weighing up to 20 pounds. Position requires knowledge and use of typical office equipment including telephone, audio-visual equipment and personal computer. Position requires frequent contact with fellow employees and citizens. Position may require occasional travel to remote sites where conditions for access may not be modifiable.
Applications for this position are accepted online only through our career portal https://www.lccountymt.gov/hr/jobs.html.
The following items are required along with the online application:
- Resume: Attach resume to online application in designated section
- Cover Letter: Attach cover letter to online application in resume upload section as well. More than one document can be uploaded.
For questions on this position or on the application process, please call (406) 447-8317 or e-mail email@example.com.
Lewis & Clark County is an Equal Opportunity Employer