Published August 18, 2022
Position Title: Paralegal
County: Powell County
Department: County Attorney’s Office
Salary or Pay Rate: Starts at $17 per hour
Position Type: Full-Time
Start Date: September 1, 2022
Powell County is seeking to hire a full-time Legal Assistant/Paralegal. This position is responsible for performing advanced administrative and clerical assistance to the Powell County Attorney.
In addition to managing the front office of the County Attorney (mail, phone, supplies, files), the person will regularly draft legal documents for the review of the attorney and for presentation to the court. The person will know the structure of a legal case file, and learn the process of a criminal prosecution, in order to support case management. The person will communicate with the Court, with opposing counsel, law enforcement, or the public on behalf of the Powell County Attorney. The person is primarily responsible for evidence management and production. The person will provide back-up support for the File Clerk/Legal Assistant position will perform filing, front desk, and other support tasks as needed.
- None. The person does provide training for the File Clerk/Legal Assistant
Duties & Responsibilities
- Prepares various types of correspondence or court documents, including petitions, pleadings and motions, affidavits, judgments, and warrants; files pleadings according to judicial procedures.
- Prepares and maintains case library of templates for jury instructions, charging documents, and civil case petitions (child, youth, guardianship, mental commitment)
- Schedules a variety of hearings with Justice and District Court
- Files and distributes a variety of legal documents
- Receives evidence from law enforcement, and prepares it for official production/service to opposing counsel
- Attends and assists court hearings or meetings as required, taking notes as needed.
- Manages production of trial or hearing exhibits, coordinates appearance of trial or hearing witnesses. This may include arranging transportation and lodging for certain witnesses, such as issue experts.
- With assistance/direction of the attorney, meets with attorneys, law enforcement, other professionals, and the public to discuss assigned cases or projects.
- Assists with research of online Montana legal sources, such as statutes and case law.
- Assists with analysis of legal documents and briefs, ensuring accurate statement and depiction of facts, case law, and precedent provided. Reports any inconsistencies or suggested revisions to the attorney.
- Prepares, organizes, stores, and retrieves case files, which may include evidence, exhibits, depositions, pleadings, exhibits, and other items.
- Assists attorney with trial preparation, which may include attending trials and hearings.
- Manages office purchases, equipment maintenance, supplies, repairs, etc.
- Performs related duties, including those of the File Clerk/Legal Assistant, as assigned.
Required Skills & Abilities
- Superior organizational skills, with an understating of prioritization and attention to detail
- Superior verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent teamwork and problem-solving/trouble-shooting skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills in a variety of situations.
- Excellent work ethic, reliability
- Proficiency in electronic database, spreadsheet, and word processing software
- Ability to operate trial presentation equipment
- Understanding of legal language and principles, research methods, court pleadings and processes, and other related matters.
- Ability to learn specialized court processes, such as extraditions
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to function well in a high-paced and at times stressful environment.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality, and to exercise discretion and good judgment.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software.
Education & Experience
- High School diploma or equivalent required. Other degree or certificate or legal experience preferred
- Ability to obtain ongoing training is required
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at times.
Please fax to (406) 846-1031 or email a completed application, resume, cover letter and references.
Application is available at https://www.powellcountymt.gov/county-departments/powell-county-human-resources/job-openings/ to firstname.lastname@example.org.