For every Montana resident counted, the Census estimates the state will receive nearly $2,000 per person each year in federal funding. The $20,000 per person coming into the state over the next decade is used across Montana counties for medical assistance, educational programs, need-based support, infrastructure, highway planning and over 300 other programs. Spending just a few minutes to complete your Census form will help ensure Montana gets its fair share of federal funding. Filling out the form is quick, easy, safe and important.
Apportionment & Redistricting
Census data is used to define legislative districts, establish school districts and guide decision making in many other functional areas of government. As mandated by the U.S. Constitution, the Decennial Census is used to apportion seats in the U.S. House of Representatives. Montana is one of the states on the cusp of gaining a new congressperson so getting a complete count is more important than ever.
Census data is used to inform community decisions. Think of it like a snapshot of who we are as a community every decade. Data about changes in each area are crucial to many planning decisions, such as where to provide services for seniors, where to build new roads and schools and where to locate job training centers. Census data is also used by organizations to obtain grant funding for key programs helping Montanans.
What Can you Do to Promote the Census
- Talk: Promote discussion about the 2020 Census and emphasize the benefits of participation.
- Reassure: By law, the Census Bureau cannot share respondents’ answers with anyone, including other federal agencies and law enforcement entities. All Census Bureau employees take an oath of non-disclosure and are sworn for life to protect the confidentiality of the data.
- Host: Commit to do at least ONE THING to get us closer to a complete count! Invite Federal or State Partners to events in your community. Request Census materials for your community. Volunteer to record a radio PSA to be aired on YOUR local radio stations. Host a Census awareness event.
- Encourage: Participation in the census is easy, important and safe, and participation is vital.
- Work: Be a Census worker. The job is part-time, pays a competitive wage with flexible hours.